Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Are there any signs in the hands that you are a twin flame?
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Yesterday at 2:43 pm by rajashri

» Can anyone read it for me?
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am by Jazyrider

» Square on Marriage line
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 am by pp38000

» Cross in mount Jupiter
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm by greatbear

» clinodactyly: top phalanges bending towards Mercury finger
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm by greatbear

» Can anybody please read this hand
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm by greatbear

» Nisha Ghai
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm by mihsaaskhan

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm by mrhandsome

» Fate Destiny Line -
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 51 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 51 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 387 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:35 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5933 registered users
The newest registered user is Skylines3

Our users have posted a total of 47486 messages in 4937 subjects
Top posting users this month
rajashri
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Voting17String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Voting19String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Voting18 

Top posting users this week
rajashri
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Voting17String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Voting19String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Voting18 

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!

Pointing finger: check this out!

Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation)

+2
Patti
GoodPalmist
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Empty String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation)

Post  GoodPalmist Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:32 am

Hello all,

I recently read about the 'String of Pearls' formation in Altman's book. From the photos in that book, I couldn't grasp what he meant by String of Pearls.
Can someone please spare a few moments to explain it to me or direct me to a good resource.

Thanks
GP

Last edited by Martijn (admin) on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title improvement)

GoodPalmist

Back to top Go down

String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Empty Re: String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation)

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:40 am

It's when a skin ridge row or rows of ridges break down and have a dotted look. Like a string of pearls. like ............. rather than ___________
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Empty Re: String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation)

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 am

If it's fig. 9.9 in Altman's "The Palmistry Workbook" look at the area under the middle finger and between the middle and ring. Also very noticible in the space between close to the end of head line and up to heart line along side the health line.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby32 Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:47 am

what would the 'string of pearl' signify?

bobby32

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:27 pm

bobby32 wrote:what would the 'string of pearl' signify?

Nathanial Altman describes their presence on the hands of people who are as he says neurotic. Mental illness.

I see them on people who are chronically ill and weak - both physically and emotionally, but are still 'functioning' in day to day life.

Last edited by Patti on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put Robert instead of Nathanial :-))
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Upendrasingh Bhadoriya Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Patti wrote:If it's fig. 9.9 in Altman's "The Palmistry Workbook" look at the area under the middle finger and between the middle and ring. Also very noticible in the space between close to the end of head line and up to heart line along side the health line.

Respected Pattiji
Namaste,

please describe above in detail, what you want say because nothing is mentioned in above book as state above.
Do you want to blend 'String of Pearl' with quotation?

Upendrasingh Bhadoriya
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya

http:// http://www.vedicastrostar.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello Upendrasingh,
Here is the illustration from Altman's book that I was referring to:

String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) String11

I've circled the area's where I mentioned. You can see the broken down ridges in many places on this hand. The ridges have become rows of dots or "strings of pearls".
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Upendrasingh Bhadoriya Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:10 pm

It is clear.You have not blend it.
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Upendrasingh Bhadoriya wrote:It is clear.You have not blend it.

I'm sorry Upendrasingh, I'm not sure what you mean by "You have not blend it".

I really haven't much more information. Maybe someone else can share more indepth information or research.

I have seen the flow of the rows of ridges disturbed every now and then in people's hands. The people I've seen it on have usually been stressed out over a long period or have chronic illnesses that wear them down physically and emotionally.

Occasionally, I have seen it on people's hands who look strong and healthy. I notice that Altman writes that it's on people that are neurotic. When you do a Google search for "string of pearls" palmistry, you can see his newest book. There it seems he's correlated it to sex offenders. I just read that earlier after I posted.

It would be a good idea to keep that in mind when we come across them in people's palms. Although I don't think I could come right out and ask someone if they had sex offender tendancies.

If it's physical illness related to start - then the breaking down of the ridges might relate to a similar breaking down of the mental capacities in some way - leading to neurosis of some sort. Although when you look up the definition of neurosis, it says it's not physical or organ related.

The term "string of pearls" in regards to the break down of the skin ridges has been around a number of years. I'm pretty sure I read about it prior to Altman's books. I was thinking Lori Reid mentioned them.

(I'm away from my books right now on my laptop)
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:05 pm

This link to another part of Altman's book relates more to how I have seen it - stress and poor health:

String of Pearls
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Another link:

String of Pearls - Sex Offender
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm

GoodPalmist wrote:Hello all,

I recently read about the 'Striing of Pearls' formation in Altman's book. From the photos in that book, I couldn't grasp what he meant by Striing of Pearls.
Can someone please spare a few moments to explain it to me or direct me to a good resource.

Thanks
GP
Hello GoodPalmist,

Yes, you're right to wonder about this.

It is quite funny to notice that Altman has described his comment about the 'string of pearls' in all his books - starting from 1984 (The Palmistry Workbook) to 2009 (Palmistry: The Universal Guide). But during the past 2 decades Altman never really explained how one can recognize this phenomon from his example... nor any other hand!

lol!

Patti wrote:I really haven't much more information. Maybe someone else can share more indepth information or research.

Okay Patti, I will try to do that - by shareing a few observations + a few more details from other sources:

NOTICE: Regarding Altman's example:

In the mount of Venus area one can not see any ridge pattern; but it is unclear why Altman exactly presented that illustration. So Patti, your right: the areas that you marked could be described as an example of 'mild ridge dissociation'.

But one could even wonder if Altman'ss illustration shows really an example of 'ridge dissociation'... because one really needs to use some specified 'criteria' before one can speak of this phenomenon: otherwise a print with a poor quality could easily get confused with 'ridge dissocation'.

There are a few sources available which present more quality info:

1 - This article titled: 'Congenital malformations of human dermatoglypcs' (1973), describes the differences between 'ridge dissociation', 'ridge hypolasia', and 'ridge aplasia' (see page 2):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1648087/pdf/archdisch00867-0027.pdf
NOTICE: this article presents two very clear picture examples of ridge dissociation, see figure 1 and 2

2 - But the best source I have seen so far is the book 'Dermatoglyphics in Schizophrenics' - by Amrita Bagga (1989). See pages 200-202:
http://books.google.com/books?id=xT6To27M_6UC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

Bagga described various synonyms for the phenomenon called 'ridge dissociation' - including: 'disrupted ridges', 'dotted ridges', 'pearl-lines', and... 'string-of-pearls'.

And Bagga describes also a method to discriminate 'mild-', 'moderate-', and 'acute ridge dissociation' examples - depending upon the degree of dissociaton. (For example: when a triradius can not be identified, then one could speak of a 'moderate' example, though there are other criteria including the size of the area involved, etc.)

All these names basically refer to same phenomenon, and it appears that an earlier schizophrenia study from 1962 (http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/180/3/215.abstract) was one of the very first studies where 'ridge dissociation' was mentioned.

I hope this has been helpful to understand the phenomenon of the 'stringle-of-pearls' - again, the 1973 article present two much examples of (moderate) 'ridge dissociation'.

wave
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Great document! Thanks for sharing!

I can't find anything in Lori Reid's or any of the other author's books that I thought may have mentioned String of Pearls, so it might have been from Nathaniel's earlier book that I first became aware of the term.

In David Brandon Jones 1981 (1986 US edition) "Practical Palmistry" he has this illustration:
String of pearls (a.k.a. ridge dissociation) Dermat10

Yes, I forgot about Bagga's book! Thumb up

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Upendrasingh Bhadoriya Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:30 am

Respected Martijn and Pattyji
Namaste
To malformed ridges “String of pearls” analogy is given by Dr. Eugene Scheimann, M.D. and Nathaniel Altman but it is given in book of Noel Jaquin in his book ‘The Hand Speaks- Your Health, Your Sex , Your Life’ for chronically diseases published in 1941.

Upendrasingh Bhadoriya
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 am

Upendrasingh Bhadoriya wrote:Respected Martijn and Pattyji
Namaste
To malformed ridges “String of pearls” analogy is given by Dr. Eugene Scheimann, M.D. and Nathaniel Altman but it is given in book of Noel Jaquin in his book ‘The Hand Speaks- Your Health, Your Sex , Your Life’ for chronically diseases published in 1941.

Namaste Upendrasingh!
What a great collection of prints with diagnosed cases. Does he use the phrase "string of pearls"? I see on page 84 he says "dot like pieces". Thanks for calling my attention to this book, in the process of looking through it for this topic, I came across something else I had been looking for!
Thanks!
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby32 Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:35 am

is there an e-copy of the book available?

bobby32

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Upendrasingh Bhadoriya wrote:Respected Martijn and Pattyji
Namaste

Hello U.B.,

Thanks for sharing your observation regarding Jaquin's work. Can you please tell us on which page(s) of the Jaquin's book you are referring to?

Thumbs up!
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Upendrasingh Bhadoriya Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Respected Martijnji
Namaste
There are many pages of book in which Noel described such type of malformed ridges and their relation with diseases.
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya

Back to top Go down

Post  pravin kumar Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:15 pm

[b][i]

Upendrasinghji,

I had also read about this formation on the palm in Noel Jacquin's Book. I don't think he referred to it as String of Pearls.

Pravin Kumar

pravin kumar

Back to top Go down

Post  Upendrasingh Bhadoriya Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Dear Pravinbhai
You are right . I have mentioned the same thing in my previous posts.
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya
Upendrasingh Bhadoriya

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 pm

pravin kumar wrote:[b][i]

Upendrasinghji,

I had also read about this formation on the palm in Noel Jacquin's Book. I don't think he referred to it as String of Pearls.

Pravin Kumar

Hello Pravin Kumar,

You are right Thumbs up! :'string-of-pearls' is formally not mentioned in Jaquin's work because he used other names for the same skin-condition.

But Upendrasingh Bhadoriya is also right: his reference to Jaquin's work is relevant because it refers to the same condition as the 'string-of-pearls'.

PS. Though, one can certainly argue about the details: see my very first (long) post earlier in this discussion - there are quite a few other names available for this skin condition.
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Beryl Hutchinson in "Your Life in Your Hands", (1967) in chapter IV (pg 223) mentions the breaking up of the skin ridges. She refers back to not only Charlotte Wolff and Noel Jaquin writing about the "breaking up of the rythmn of ridges". She says Jaquin's book "The Hand Speaks" has 'probably the best illustrations of his findings'.

She says that Purkinje (she spelled it Purkenje) also mentioned the breakdown of the skin ridges in 1823 and that Galton noticed the condition, too. Noel Jaquin was the first to connect them with disease.

I think the term "string of pearls" was coined along the way and caught on in conversation among palmists before written in Altman's books. He said in 'palmistry' it's known as "string of pearls". I checked his list of references to see his possible source.

Reminds me of how Johnny Fincham and other Handreading Cyber Cafe members called his Passion Line a Pervy line and that's how it was discussed for some time before it settled into a less offending name. Someday the first published place for it to be found will be his books, but in people's notes and computer archives it was around quite a few years prior.

<edit> Purkinje's work is translated into English from Latin in the book "Dermatoglyphics, Science in Transition" 1991.

Last edited by Patti on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:10 pm

In Scheimann's "A Doctor's Guide to Better Health Through Palmistry" he mentions the term "string of pearls" on pages 73 and 74. "disassociated or ill-formed ridges known as "string of pearls". This was published in 1969, so the term was already in use then in the palmistry community.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:18 pm

Thumbs up!

Hi Patti, great to know that this condition had already been observed by Johannes Evangelist Purkinje (1787-1869)!!

Thank you for mention that.
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodPalmist Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 am

I am surprised that my simple question has triggered such an active discussion.

I'd like to add a question - if I may - to this thread.

Have expert palmists - during the course of their readings - been able to rely on research findings (Bagga and others) or is there a lot left to be researched before conclusive correlations can be determined ?

Thanks,
GP

GoodPalmist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next